Friday, June 25, 2010

Purification


There is something to be said for "trial by fire" and that is, "It hurts!"
The last several years for my family have been a great time of trial, testing, strengthening and growth.

It has not been easy, but I wouldn't change it. If our faith hadn't been exercised, it would have become weak and useless. The Lord knew what we needed in order to gain strength and stamina. We had no idea that living in Nevada was going to be so rigorous!

Obviously, it isn't because we live in the state of Nevada that life has been strenuous. It is because we have purposed to follow the Lord where ever He leads.  We have given Him the reins of our lives and He, in His infinite wisdom, deemed it necessary to move us out of our comfort zone so that we could grow. We have been pruned and new growth has taken over! What an awesome thing it is! Indeed, He is the Vine and we are the branches. He is the Master Vine Dresser. He knows what to snip away, what to tie back, and what to nurture.
The Bible says that a tree is known by it's fruit. It is our desire that we are known as Christ-followers and Lovers of God.

The other day the Lord  brought to mind the old song, "Refiner's Fire". He reminded me that years ago I made the lyrics to that song my heart's cry where upon He lit within me a desire to be all that He wants me to be. In doing so, I gave Him permission to purify me; to cleanse from me all dross.

When precious metal is heated to severe temperatures, the impurities rise to the top and are discarded. As the dross rises, the tempuratures are also increased until, finally, no impurities remain. What does remain is the purest precious metal; gold. The purest gold we have is 24 carat gold. It means that the gold is 99.9% free of impurities.

The same is true with the testing of our faith and the trials of life. I have learned that with each twist and turn of life, the Lord reveals something to me; something of myself. I have cried out to Him, as David did, to reveal myself to me; to show me what needs to change; to rid me of all impurities and renew within me a right spirit. A spirit which glorifies Him. I cannot do so with my old nature; a life lived in the flesh. I am only able to do so by His Spirit; completely surrendered to His will; willing to change what ever He shows me needs changing. It is not in me to bring about this change, but Him in me who brings about the change.

I have included the lyrics to "Refiner's Fire. It is my prayer that they touch something deep within you dear reader.

"Let me be as gold and precious silver
Purify my heart
Let me be as gold, pure gold

Refiner's fire
My heart's one desire
Is to be holy
Set apart for You, Lord
I choose to be holy
Set apart for You, my Master
Ready to do Your will

Purify my heart
Cleanse me from within
And make me holy
Purify my heart
Cleanse me from my sin
Deep within"

Yes, there is also something to be said for the Refining Fire of the Lord and that is, "It's worth it!"


1 comment:

Thank you so much for stopping by.
I would love to hear from you, so leave a comment!
And have a specially blessed day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...